Tuesday, 13 December 2016

Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them!

Having been a die hard Harry Potter fan for as long as I can remember, it only felt right to honour the latest Harry Potter instalment, *drumrole* 'Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them' by wearing a Newt Scamander-esque outfit. I know that some were crestfallen, however as sequels go I found Fantastic Beasts to be pretty good considering (controversial much). Although admittedly anything related to the wizarding world can do no wrong in my eyes. I initially intended to wait and watch the film in the form of a group, celebrating the end of our brutal Midterms (it took every ounce of self restraint I could possibly muster).. however after my final exam, I was strolling the streets of Kadikoy and was welcomed with posters in every direction I headed. It was a calling for sure, so there and then I caved and made an impromptu visit to the cinema... sorry not sorry.
I fell in love with the character of Newt Scamander, possibly a little too much. I loved becoming acquainted with his quirky, adorable character and his undying love for his fantastic beasts. I was overcome with emotion at the beautiful, heartwarming relationship of Jacob and  Queenie. ..what can I say, I'm a sucker for wizarding world romance. As if the film could not get any better, it is set in the opulence of the Gatsby era which would have had me sold if it weren't already for the fact that it was Harry Potter related. It was intriguing to get a glimpse into how the Ministry was run elsewhere, and this added another dimension to the wizarding world in my mind. I'm exhilarated at the prospect of getting some insight into Dumbledore's youth and what went down with Grindlewald in the next film.... 2018 will you come already!

Now over to my attire for this post; so whilst peering into my wardrobe I rediscovered my neglected navy oversized duster coat... and an outfit started to formulate itself in my mind. Feel free to call me sad.
Outfit-wise I wore my Peter Pan collar blouse underneath a thrifted  jumper all tucked into my navy Zara skirt.  I created Newt Scamander's trademark bow tie by simply tying a 1 pound velvet ribbon beneath my collar. The socks were the final touch, despite myself being a proud Ravenclaw I don't own any socks in allegiance with my house so I made do with my good ol' Gryffindor pair.














4 comments:

  1. This outfit makes such a cool nod to Newt Scamander! You nailed it Sumeyye :D I love the duster coat, and associated with the taupe jumper it looks even preppy! I loved the film too, Jacob and Queenie are the cutest and of course Eddie Redmayne steals the show as Newt! Can't wait for the next instalment either. In the meantime, it's great to see that Fantastic Beasts has given a lot of inspiration again to us all Potterheads!

    Julia x
    Last post: NYX Lingerie Lipsticks Review | http://juliaspeaksbeauty.blogspot.co.uk/2016/12/review-nyx-lingerie-liquid-lipstick.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww I'm so glad you can see some sort of resemblance, I originally had Queenie in mind until I discovered that old thing! I have since seen the film 3 more time (obsessed much)! Indeed, I hope to see others interpretations of the fantastic beasts characters too!

      Lots of love,

      Vintagonista|Sumeyye

      Delete
  2. Salam aleykum! You're such an inspiration. As a convert I struggle to find a good place between my natural "old" style (which looks just like yours) and my religious beliefs. I recently started wearing a turban and I am honestly relieved to find your blog. I love sewing and vintage fashion, and you're adding a modesty twist to it! Thank you so much, you really are a blessing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aleykum Salam Pauline, Thank you very much, you are too kind. I absolutely understand where you are coming from, I myself found it difficult as a muslim to find style inspiration that suited my preferences whilst also maintaining a modesty standard. I initiated this blog exactly for that reason, after having searched in vain for other muslim ladies with a style similar to myself, I wanted this blog to be a medium to reach others and I'm delighted that it has. Thank you!

      Vintagonista|Sumeyye

      Delete